Medical Research

Medical research in the Sudan was established in 1903 by the foundation of the Wellcome Research Laboratories at the Gordon Memorial College in Khartoum (which became the University of Khartoum in 1956).

This foundation had significant contribution to research in the fields of tropical diseases like Malaria and schistosomiasis. In 1934 dismemberment of the Wellcome Laboratories into different sections (bacteriological, chemical, public and agricultural) was done; the bacteriological and chemical sections were taken by the Sudan Medical Service.

 In 1935 the Stack Medical Research Laboratories (built in 1927-1928) became part of the Sudan Medical Service’ Research Section together with the Wellcome  Laboratories and Wad Medani Medical Entomology Section. These 3 institutions were the foundation of medical research in the Sudan. The first Sudanese director of the Stack Laboratories was late Professor Mansour Ali Haseeb (1913-1973) who was a pioneer in medical research in the Sudan. One of his great contributions is a book that compiled a monograph for references on biomedical research done in the Sudan during the period 1902-1972. Most of historical information in our current book is derived from this valuable reference.

Medical Research at the University of Khartoum:

V0012792 The Kitchener Memorial Medical School, Khartoum, Sudan. Proc Credit: Wellcome Library, London. Wellcome Images images@wellcome.ac.uk http://wellcomeimages.org The Kitchener Memorial Medical School, Khartoum, Sudan. Process print, 1924, after G.B. Bridgman. 1924 after: G.B. BridgmanPublished: 4 January 1924 Copyrighted work available under Creative Commons Attribution only licence CC BY 4.0 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

The Kitchener Memorial Medical School, Khartoum, Sudan, 1924

The Kitchener School of Medicine was established in 1924 then incorporated into the Gordon Memorial College of Khartoum in 1951.The pre clinical and clinical departments were established in 1952. In 1956 and after Sudan independence the University of Khartoum (UOK) was established with eight faculties including the faculty of medicine (FOM) under a Vice Chancellor. The Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBS) was conferred by the FOM instead of Diploma of Medicine in 1959.

Post Graduate Medical Studies:

Courses for students wishing to take postgraduate examinations abroad were organized by the FOM in mid 1960s by the pre clinical departments.  In the mid 1970s post graduate degrees were started by a Diploma in Obstetrics and Gynecology. Students from nearby countries (Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia) came to Sudan to take some of these courses.

The Council of Higher Medical Education:

In 1969 the Ministry of Higher Education nominated the University of Khartoum to establish the Council of Higher Medical Education to be responsible for supervision of post graduate clinical studies. Late professor Omer Belail was the first president of this counsel in 1976. The counsel was placed in the premises of the FOM and was the foundation of medical specialization in the Sudan. It included all the main  specialties (surgery, medicine, paediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, anesthesia, psychiatry, ophthalmology, orthopedics, otolaryngology and dental studies). The counsel was also awarding master and PHD degrees in basic sciences as well as MD by research. In the year 2000 the duties of clinical specialization was transferred to the Sudan Board  of Medical Specialization and the  other duties of the postgraduate medical studies continued to be carried by the College of Graduate Studies at the UOK.

During the period 1977-2006 the Staff of the FOM were responsible for supervision of Msc and MD students in the different specialties. Most MD programs included clinical training as well as research theses which created a large body of research papers that contributed to medical literature in the Sudan as well as the regional and international literature.

Skip to toolbar